Rules and Regulations
The WSBA administers the admission and licensing of Washington licensed legal professionals on behalf of, and under the Admission and Practice Rules (APR) adopted by, the Washington Supreme Court.
Admission Policies adopted by the WSBA Board of Governors.
- Lawyer applications and admissions are governed by APR 1-5, 13.
- Limited License Legal Technicians (LLLT) applications and admissions are governed by APR 1-5, 13, 28.
- Limited Practice Officers (LPO) applications and admissions are governed by APR 1-5, 12-13
- The Law Clerk Program is governed by APR 6
- Rule 9 Licensed Legal Interns are governed by APR 9
- Character and fitness requirements and proceedings are governed by APR 20-24.3.
Washington Professional Responsibility Duties are set forth in the following Rules of Professional Conduct adopted by the Washington Supreme Court:
- Rules of Professional Conduct (RPC) for Lawyers
- Limited Practice Officer Rules of Professional Conduct (LPO RPC)
- Limited License Legal Technician Rules of Professional Conduct (LLLT RPC)
WSBA Bylaws relate to some aspects of administration of the licenses to practice law.
Any discrepancy or conflict between the information provided here and the rules and regulations set by the Washington State Supreme Court, or the bylaws and policies of the Washington State Bar Association, is unintentional and will be resolved in favor of strict compliance with the rules, regulations, bylaws and policies.